A Story About My Best Friend


385
May/June

I was sitting at a 6-seat table in the cafeteria doing my maths homework. The seat next to me was occupied by my backpack, the seat nearest to that one was taken by a shorter girl with tomboyish hair, who was also doing her maths work. I was meeting up with a friend after school, so if I got my homework done before the meet, I would have more time for myself at home.

I looked up for a split second to see a girl enter the cafeteria. She had dark hair tied in a ponytail, rather nerdy glasses and comfortable clothes on her. I didn't recognise her so I put my head down and dived back into my work.

A few moments later while very focused on my work, I realised that this girl was talking to me. I shook my head violently upwards as a sign of disorientation when I heard her reveal something I had been wondering about for quite some time now; "I'm the one who's been commenting on your videos." I just... paused. I was caught off guard but I knew what she was talking about. For a couple months I had been getting anonymous comments on my YouTube videos. They weren't hate comments though! On the contrary, she would even often initiate conversations between us, ones that I'd really cherish too.
I just nodded and said some undirected "thank you"s but my confusion still didn't let me fully understand what had just happened.
We both smiled at each other awkwardly and then she just... left.

After a few seconds of shock, I asked my table-pal if she knew who the girl was.

"Her? That was Camilla ------, class 2D."

I forgot her last name the same moment she said it.

My friend who I met up with later happened to jog my memory though.

It turns out that they knew each other really well. My friend started telling me about her and how they've known each other. I asked for her surname a couple times to remember it.

After getting home I stalked her Facebook and then added her. She had a drawing as her profile picture so I couldn't tell much about her. All I remembered were the three things that stood out; her hair, glasses and clothes.


June 12th

I felt empty and alone. Camilla was still commenting on my posts a lot. I wanted our conversations to last longer though. What if she was the one and only friend that I could ever cherish so much? What if not making the first step towards our friendship would make me lose her later? I couldn't let that happen.

I decided to write to her. All I had left was to wait for a reply.


June 14th

I woke up for school to see none other than a reply... Now what?

------------

I happened to see her at school too but I just didn't know what to say to her so we just awkwardly looked at each other a lot.

------------

Once I got back home I quickly apologised for my awkwardness and magically... everything felt so casual. I wasn't under pressure. We started talking about... everything for three hours straight. We wrote stories, made inside jokes, told each other a few secrets all in three magical hours.

And we've been best friends ever since.








That, and a whole lot more, is the story of how I met one of my favourite people in the universe - Camilla (nickname: Angel). We speak practically everyday and have been talking ever since June 14th - at least that's when we really started talking.

Angel-bee, I cherish you and your existence a lot. It's hard for me to express (to random people) how much you mean to me. You're one of the people in the very small group of friends who don't 'shoo' me off when I have a problem. You listen to my ideas and say your opinion. You trust me with your secrets as I do with my own. You inspire me to "work my butt off but work smart though". You remind me that the only opinions that matter, are those coming from people I love and who love me. You constantly surprise me with the amount of intelligence and bright thoughts in your mind. You make me think of certain things in a different way. You make me think about if I'm alive or just dreaming. You make me try to hold back my swear words sometimes. You make me want to work and challenge myself. You mesmerize me with the amount of creativity you have in you. You shock me with the amount of talent you hold that nobody knows about.

You made me drink tea again.
You are perhaps the only person I don't get tired of hugging.
You are someone I don't ever want to leave.
You make me a better person.
You make me understand the incomprehensive.
You make me look further than the doubt that I see.
You are all the good things.
You are an angel to me.

I love you. I may not understand everything you say sometimes for minds are different no matter how similar, but I will always be there to help you cope in your struggles, document your thoughts, release your anger, squirm in your happiness. No matter what and no matter when, I will be there for you.

I love you and thank you for existing.

Thank you for being you.

I love you (yet again), I love you Angel-bean.

Love, GABBY

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Reasons To Be Happy

  • you

Popular Posts